The iOme Challenge Question 2021-2022
The 117th Congress has appointed you as a member of the 2022 Independent Commission on Retirement Security. Commissioners have been given this charge:
The retirement system needs to be re-evaluated and a comprehensive approach needs to be developed to modernize efforts in support of more efficient and effective programs that help Americans plan and save for a more secure retirement.
Your job as a Gen Z’er about to enter the workforce is to bring a new perspective to the Independent Commission on Retirement Security and to develop a comprehensive proposal to improve one or all of the three pillars of the nation’s retirement system for all generations in order to improve their chances of living a financially secure retirement. Your proposal should include specific policies that will target the needs and challenges of specific population segments you believe the commission should prioritize.
Detailed background on the problems and issues to be considered when writing your essay can be found here.
Ready to Take the iOme Challenge?
- The first step is to register your team online.
- The deadline for submitting the essay is May 15, 2022 at 11:59pm EST.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Winners will be announced by late-May 2022.
The winning team will share a $5,000 prize, with an additional $1,500 paid to the team’s faculty advisor. Historically, the winners have been invited to Washington, DC to present their winning essay at a policy forum on Capitol Hill. A travel stipend is provided, but please note that it may not cover all travel expenses depending on the size of the team. In the event that travel or an in-person forum is not possible due to Covid-19 restrictions, the forum will be held virtually.
If you have any additional questions or need more information, contact the iOme Challenge at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Essays may be any length up to the maximum of 5,000 words (approximately 10 pages single spaced);
- Must be grounded and documented in economic and behavioral research;
- Must demonstrate a reasonable probability of success including political viability;
- Must include a complete bibliography of sources.